LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 07:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post subject: Testosterone
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 02:46 
Elite Contributor

Testosterone levels in the general population have decreased by an astonishing 20% in the last 20 years! There are a lot of theories why (the main ones being increased obesity, more sedentary lifestyles, and the ubiquity of plastics).

Get yours tested. If it's low, you can be prescribed medication to increase your body's testosterone production. [Caveat: Stay away from "clinics" that specialize in "low T". These guys will put you on testosterone replacement therapy (i.e. weekly injections) which, although more profitable for them, is a far inferior solution that will make you sterile. Just go to your normal doctor complaining of "fatigue" and say you'd like to have your testosterone checked. He'll either refer you to a urologist or order the lab work himself.]

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Nature Boy for the above post:
The Love God
 Post subject: Re: Testosterone
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 07:52 
Poster

This is really interesting to me, especially as a former vegetarian. I've also heard that soy consumption is linked to higher levels of estrogen, which makes sense when you think about it. I stopped drinking soymilk and eating tofu a long time ago, now I drink almond milk for my lactose intolerance.

I've also heard several running theories that it's also linked to increased levels of estrogen in our sewage systems, thanks to female hormonal birth control sometimes remaining in recycled waste water.

Does anyone here like This American Life? I was listening to a couple segments on the effects of life with/without testosterone, and it's really interesting for anyone interested, or wondering if upping their T would help with energy levels and weight loss. I also know some guys who are incel because low T makes it hard for them to maintain sexual arousal for very long. Here's the link: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... stosterone

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 00:15 
T-800, moderator version

Nature Boy wrote:
[Caveat: Stay away from "clinics" that specialize in "low T". These guys will put you on testosterone replacement therapy (i.e. weekly injections) which, although more profitable for them, is a far inferior solution that will make you sterile.

But the legit/standard doc will just put you on hrt anyway, if your T levels are low. Same thing as the roid doc, only maybe more strictly monitored.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 01:44 
Elite Contributor

Ethnocide wrote:
Nature Boy wrote:
[Caveat: Stay away from "clinics" that specialize in "low T". These guys will put you on testosterone replacement therapy (i.e. weekly injections) which, although more profitable for them, is a far inferior solution that will make you sterile.

But the legit/standard doc will just put you on hrt anyway, if your T levels are low. Same thing as the roid doc, only maybe more strictly monitored.

My urologist put me on Clomid which causes my body to generate more testosterone (and sperm) by blocking estrogen. Hence it will never make me sterile.
Wikipedia wrote:
Unlike traditional TRT it also does not shrink the testes and as a result can enhance fertility.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 02:11 
T-800, moderator version

Nature Boy wrote:
Ethnocide wrote:
Nature Boy wrote:

My urologist put me on Clomid which causes my body to generate more testosterone (and sperm) by blocking estrogen. Hence it will never make me sterile.
Wikipedia wrote:
Unlike traditional TRT it also does not shrink the testes and as a result can enhance fertility.

How's it working so far? Noticing any effects? I personally don't care about the sperm aspect of it. If I was gunna have kids I woulda done it by this age. Plus I have some saved sperm. I'm more interested in the actual testosterone boosting effects.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 02:52 
Elite Contributor

Ethnocide wrote:
How's it working so far? Noticing any effects? I personally don't care about the sperm aspect of it. If I was gunna have kids I woulda done it by this age. Plus I have some saved sperm. I'm more interested in the actual testosterone boosting effects.

The effects are subtle, but yes. My doc is taking a very conservative approach, increasing my T level gradually. Right now my T level is around 600 ng/dL, which is about twice what is was, and about average for my age. The target is to get it up to around 1000.

I finally had the balls (literally) to quit my job, so that's one tangible result so far. Otherwise, it's hard to point to any specific effects, beyond the vague ones mentioned in the above diagram.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 17:31 
The Ass in the Hat

With my inability to grow muscle, childish appearance, high voice and low aggression, I've considered testosterone as the source of my problems many times. Every time all the test results come back normal and doctors just tell me to chill out.

Well, out of the traits in the picture, I guess I have strong bones.

Thanks