LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 23:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 15:00 
Poster

The biggest obstacle that kept me from overcoming love-shyness was my belief in Neurodiversity. Neurodiversity is a belief that people with Autism are different not disabled (I am on the spectrum). Some claims are made that Einstein and Gates were autistic for instance, however that is a lie. People on the spectrum have far higher rates of unemployment.

http://www.jonathans-stories.com/non-fi ... osing.html

Excellent essay by autistic man explaining why Einstein, Gates, Jefferson weren't autistic

http://www.jonathans-stories.com/non-fi ... rodiv.html

More general essay on why neurodiversity is bad

“Indeed, if one were to predict among a large group of elementary school boys just exactly who is likely to go on to a life of chronic and painful love-shyness, there does not appear to be any better or more readily observable medical predictor than that of difficulties involving the nose.” -- Brian Gilmartin

Thanks  
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 14:29 
Bitches love lasers.

It's a disability because it means you can't do certain things most people can, whilst you can't do things that most people can't.

Savants can do things that most people can't, but they represent an extremely small minority of autistics, are present also in neurotypicals and thus aren't exclusive to austistics, and are generally stupid at everything except the one thing they can do. They're like a can opening machine: very good at that one thing, useless at anything else.

I have nothing against autistics, but there's a lot of weird and/or worrying superiority complexes on Wrong Planet. I think it's a coping mechanism.

They have a point in that the more articulate members there are smarter in most ways than most neurotypicals, but they also paint neurotypicals as just being the average idiot. There are plenty of logical, analytical neurotypicals who aren't ruled by their emotions, and yet are socially intelligent, so autism clearly isn't a pre-requisite for not being an idiot. If they want to talk about the ideal human form, it would be a smart neurotypical, not a smart autistic, even though I'd take a smart autistic over a dumb neurotypical any day.

Thanks