LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 01:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 20:53 
Bitches love lasers.

foxyproxy wrote:
Yes there's a round in your back. Probably not enough to cause problems, but it's still a bit of a round. When deadlifting very heavy it's inevitable you'll have some sort of rounding going on in your back, but for light weights you should be concentrating on keeping your back as straight as straight can be.

180lbs? You're better off you start extremely light, get the form down and only then build it up from there.

I think I started deadlifting with a measely 40kg. I usually pull 4 times that now for sets of reps. :lol:

Well the180 feels like maybe 60% effort to lift. If I do a set of 6 quickly I'm a bit out of breath, but it feels lighter than I probably should be doing for growth.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 23:22 
Bitches love lasers.

Update: I've been reading more about form, and generating tension. I think I've improved my form. I try to arch my back, which actually seems to just keep it straight based on video playbacks. I generate tension before picking the bar up. I focus more on leveraging through my hips. I squeeze my grip harder. I lift the bar slower, try to view it more like leg pressing the ground than lifting a bar.

I'm kinda pleased with the result. I don't want to go heavy too quickly and injure myself, but I've gone up to 220lbs so far, and it doesn't feel like a huge strain yet; it's easier than I anticipated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 04:05 
Elite Contributor

Don't injure yourself. With heavy lifts like this, you need to gradually approach your limit before trying to increase it. If you take a few weeks for this process, it's time well spent. Stronglifts even recommends that beginners start with 95 lbs. Being a naturally big guy, you could probably get away with more, but don't overdo it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 10:34 
Bitches love lasers.

Nature Boy wrote:
Don't injure yourself. With heavy lifts like this, you need to gradually approach your limit before trying to increase it. If you take a few weeks for this process, it's time well spent. Stronglifts even recommends that beginners start with 95 lbs. Being a naturally big guy, you could probably get away with more, but don't overdo it.

Thing is, I've been quite slow and cautious and attentive to form already. I'm not lifting at my max capacity yet, after two sessions.

This is 220:
https://vid.me/5PHd

One thing I notice, my hips are a little high still maybe when I lift. But just before it comes off the ground, you can see me pulling on the bar to shift my position so my hips are drawn down lower. I think I just need more weight so I can pull myself lower than I did there. A 220lb bar vs my 330lb body weight means I can't really support myself too much with it lol.

I'll probably continue in 5-10lb increments for now until things get difficult.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 22:23 
Bitches love lasers.

Took a while off because I developed overtraining symptoms like insomnia.
First day back, I've managed 260lbs, but I'm out of weights, need to buy some more.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 00:00 
Bitches love lasers.

Started doing whole body workouts today.

Pretty tiring doing deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, shoulder press and curls all in one session. Quite a few big lifts. I'll keep it to three times a week, hopefully that's enough rest for me.

Tried to get Enginehead doing deadlifts. She keeps trying to lift it with her arms because she says it's easier with her arms than using her legs. Teh fuq? Ah well.

Brown rice, chicken and whey-milk time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 01:06 
T-800, moderator version

Fonduman wrote:

Pretty tiring doing deadlifts, barbell rows, bench press, shoulder press and curls all in one session. Quite a few big lifts. I'll keep it to three times a week, hopefully that's enough rest for me.

Tried to get Enginehead doing deadlifts. She keeps trying to lift it with her arms because she says it's easier with her arms than using her legs. Teh fuq? Ah well.

When I started, I did a lot of heavy free weights, but now I do mostly body workouts, and also kettle bells and martial arts stuff. You lose some direct muscle mass gains by avoiding heavy weights and tonnes of protein, but that mass gain is useless in terms of functional strength.

I could whoop any really huge roided out dude, and I used to be one of them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 05:27 
Elite Contributor

Fonduman wrote:

Dude you're going to crash and burn because of too much volume, and your girlfriend is going to be lucky if she doesn't injure herself permanently. Start with http://stronglifts.com/5x5/, it seems to be a very successful full body workout for beginners. It also has a nice app for your mobile device.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 10:53 
Bitches love lasers.

Ethnocide wrote:
Fonduman wrote:

When I started, I did a lot of heavy free weights, but now I do mostly body workouts, and also kettle bells and martial arts stuff. You lose some direct muscle mass gains by avoiding heavy weights and tonnes of protein, but that mass gain is useless in terms of functional strength.

I could whoop any really huge roided out dude, and I used to be one of them.

I like the idea of body weight exercises, I'm just too heavy for them at the moment.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 10:55 
Bitches love lasers.

Nature Boy wrote:
Fonduman wrote:

Dude you're going to crash and burn because of too much volume, and your girlfriend is going to be lucky if she doesn't injure herself permanently. Start with http://stronglifts.com/5x5/, it seems to be a very successful full body workout for beginners. It also has a nice app for your mobile device.

5x5 is 15 sets per workout.
I'm doing 5 exercises for 3 sets each.

I'll reduce the dead lift sets since it mentions that on the page though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 11:36 
Elite Contributor

Nature Boy wrote:
Fonduman wrote:

I started out on Stronglifts 5x5 myself.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Nature Boy
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67