LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 00:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 09:46 
Elite Contributor

Beast mode. :coolbeans:

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Nature Boy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 18:50 
Super Contributor

Nature Boy wrote:
Beast mode. :coolbeans:

I was surprised how quickly I moved the bar and how good my form looked- I definitely look stronger than I feel, that's for sure! :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 19:07 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
405 lbs for 1 rep. Unfortunately I didn't have the second rep in me today, like I usually do. Oh well, we'll see how it goes next week :sunglasses: This is a good example of a safe, controlled, quiet fail.

I need to get used to doing that.

Thanks for sharing.

Although, I'd be kind of embarrassed posting videos of me lifting after your ones. :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 09:30 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:
405 lbs for 1 rep. Unfortunately I didn't have the second rep in me today, like I usually do. Oh well, we'll see how it goes next week :sunglasses: This is a good example of a safe, controlled, quiet fail.

Thanks for sharing.

Although, I'd be kind of embarrassed posting videos of me lifting after your ones. :P

No need to be embarrassed :coolbeans: Heck, there are plenty of people much stronger than me out there. Personally I don't look down on anyone for lifting less than me- I only look down on someone if they are ego lifting with horrible form, and still lifting less than me :lol:

While physical strength is very important, I value mental strength even more, and one sign of mental strength is someone lifting with strict form to progressively improve themselves, regardless of what level they are at in an absolute sense.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Lykos for the above post:
foxyproxy
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 19:08 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

No need to be embarrassed :coolbeans: Heck, there are plenty of people much stronger than me out there. Personally I don't look down on anyone for lifting less than me- I only look down on someone if they are ego lifting with horrible form, and still lifting less than me :lol:

While physical strength is very important, I value mental strength even more, and one sign of mental strength is someone lifting with strict form to progressively improve themselves, regardless of what level they are at in an absolute sense.

Well... I suppose in my defense, I am smaller, and quite a bit lighter than you too. :P

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 05:20 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Well... I suppose in my defense, I am smaller, and quite a bit lighter than you too. :P

Yep, I've got almost 15 kilos on you dude :P Don't sell yourself short.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 05:30 
Super Contributor

The gym was busy when I did bench presses, so unfortunately I wasn't able to set my phone down to record in an undisturbed spot that still had a good angle. Also I was still sore from squats by Thursday, so I waited an extra day to do deadlifts. Got 4 of 7 of the deadlift sets recorded though :coolbeans: Here they are- I present you the full, unedited videos for the heavy sets, for some more DBZ powerup action :sunglasses:

Here's 505 lbs for 1, at the end of my warmup. I was just testing the camera setup, but I decided to keep this one for comparison to the first very first time I deadlifted 505 (which I have on video too), because I was surprised how fast and easy it looked- there is a clear difference between this and the first time I pulled it. Plus it's funny with the guy rowing in the background :lol:

Next I did 515 lbs for 1- I recorded it, but since I was running out of phone space I decided to delete it so I could record more videos later. Since 515 went well, I decided to go for 520 for the first time ever! Here is the result:

Haha, after that new record I'm all looking out the window like "Holy shit, I did it! I can't believe it! I feel incredible!"

Next I dropped down to 455 lbs for 3 reps- again, I recorded it, but again, I deleted it for space reasons. I did 405 lbs for 6 next, but my phone ran out of space and the video cut off before I started the set (hence why I deleted the video of the set at 455). I did get the next set at 405 lbs though, 5 reps this set:

Next I did 315 for 12, didn't record it. And finally, 225 for 24- I did 20 before the video cut off, but after that I grinded our another 4.

I am so excited about this new record- deadlift's finally moving up again!

Thanks  
foxyproxy
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 13:01 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Yep, I've got almost 15 kilos on you dude :P Don't sell yourself short.

Well you can add that I'm only about 5'7'' to that too. Remind me never to get into a fight with you either. ;)

Damn dude... 20+ reps, you're one of those volume whores aren't you?

And I hear you about feeling invincible after hitting a PB. I remember feeling I could take the whole world on my shoulders the first time I pulled 190kg.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 23:28 
Elite Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Well you can add that I'm only about 5'7'' to that too.
:waa:
That just means you have a shorter distance to move the bar in lifts, and a shorter moment arm in all of the torque calculations. :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 06:35 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Well you can add that I'm only about 5'7'' to that too. Remind me never to get into a fight with you either. ;)

Get low and use leverage to your advantage :wink: While not non-existent, my grappling and ground skills aren't as developed as my striking skills.

Quote:
Damn dude... 20+ reps, you're one of those volume whores aren't you?

Never heard it referred to as "volume whore" before- but it looks like I qualify :lol: I almost always throw high rep sets at the end of a workout. Shit, almost everything: compound lifts, calf raises, curls, cable crunches...

Needless to say the endurance from doing this has transferred over to martial arts nicely.

Quote:
And I hear you about feeling invincible after hitting a PB. I remember feeling I could take the whole world on my shoulders the first time I pulled 190kg.

:coolbeans:
I always interpret triumph as a proxy for strengthening. If one isn't seeking out challenges to overcome, then they are hardly living.

-

Nature Boy wrote:
:waa: That just means you have a shorter distance to move the bar in lifts, and a shorter moment arm in all of the torque calculations. :wink:

This is true. On the other hand, though, since in most exercises I have to do more work to complete the same lifts (except deadlift in particular, which I have a mechanical advantage on), I will stimulate muscle growth more efficiently with the same lifts, thus increasing my force capacity at a faster rate. Also, my larger skeleton can hold more muscle mass, so after filling my frame out I can generate more force than an equally trained person with a smaller skeleton. This long-term force development advantage can compensate for leverage disadvantages to a high degree, with enough years of training. This is one reason many strength athletes are on the taller side.

Thanks  
foxyproxy
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 02:41 
Super Contributor

Bench presses and curls today- nice and empty so I could set my phone down in a good spot :coolbeans: The same long arms that advantage me so much in deadlifts have always made bench pressing a struggle.

Today was a lower weight, higher rep day, so I peaked at 275 lbs for 5 reps. The last rep was god awful :lol: My right arm has always lagged behind my left one during bench presses. My benching symmetry was a lot worse about a year ago, but it has been looking much better the past several months, after focusing on fixing it- however, my symmetry still breaks down on later reps sometimes, and breaks down slightly on earlier reps at heavier weights. Although I've made a lot of progress here, I may have to do some dumbbell work to isolate that right side and get it completely up to speed with my left.

This is my 5RM (in fact, I've only done this for 5 once before), so you can see my symmetry breaking down, most obviously on that last rep. You can see my right arm lagging very slightly behind my left arm for the first three reps, but only very slightly- then it becomes more noticeable on the fourth rep, and there is complete breakdown on the last rep.

My current 1RM on a good day is 315 for 1, but some days I'm not able to replicate that, so I need to get a bit stronger to be able to do that consistently. I can almost always get 310 for 1 though.

Next I did 275 for 3, then dropped down to 245 for 7:

Did 245 for 5 after that, then dropped down to 225 to do 4 reps with a several-second pause at the bottom. After that I did 225 for 8 normal reps- I was tired at this point, and my right arm broke down on the last rep here, too:

Finally dropped down to 135 for 22- more volume whoring :wink:

-

Aside from box squats, front squats, and accessory lifts (curls, cable crunches, back extensions, front and side dumbbell raises, rear delt flys, calf raises, tricep pushdowns), those are my workouts, in a nutshell. So, I figure I'll get some box squat and front squat videos, and then after that just post interesting personal records or random accessory stuff from time to time. I think the box squats will probably be the coolest to watch- I do them deep, with a nice pause and explosion out from the bottom.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 06:08 
Super Contributor

Got some box squat footage :coolbeans:

Overall, I was very pleased with my box squats today- this is the first time doing them in about a month, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I lost no significant strength on them. I was only expecting to get to 365 or 375 lbs, but I made it to my old record of 390 lbs for 1!

Technically, these are more pause squats rather than box squats- when my girlfriend saw these, she said they were more like "plank of wood" squats than "box" squats :lol: Most people do these with an actual box, around parallel, and they generally lose tightness at the bottom on purpose. But since I am an idiosyncratic freak, I do them ultra deep and don't sit back at all at the bottom. As you can see, I just use a little step bench with a 45 lbs plate on top to make my "box". Enjoy the footage :wink: Like I said, I think these will probably be the coolest to watch.

I uploaded the video of 385 lbs for 1 rep, and the one of 390 lbs for 1 rep (one rep max) for comparison, to show how much of a difference even just 5 lbs makes when you are around your limit. My form breaks down much more at 390 than at 385. That said, I breathed out way too much on the eccentric portion of the lift at 390 lbs (in fact I should have held my breath on the descent, THEN exhaled on the concentric portion, like I did at 385 lbs- my breath control/timing was MUCH better at 385), and this lead to a loss of core tightness by the time I got to the bottom, which contributed to my form breakdown as well. Breath control and timing are critical when working at or around your one rep max.

First, 385 lbs for 1:

Next, 390 lbs for 1, my one rep max:

Next I dropped down to 315 lbs for 4 reps:

Did 315 lbs for 3 reps next, but didn't record it, then I dropped down to 225 lbs for 10:

And finally, the volume set, 135 lbs for 20:

Front squats to come :coolbeans:

Thanks  
foxyproxy
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 20:54 
Elite Contributor

I really do like that kind of "Volume Whoring" workout myself too. ;)

My Squat variant is normally something like:

110kg 3x5 (Standard Workset)
90kg 3x5
70kg 3x6
60kg 3x8
50kg 3x10
40kg 3x12

It's amazing how tough something as low as a puny 40kg can be after all that volume. That amount of volume does take quite a while, I can be in the gym for over an hour on those days.

I had a similar routine for the back too where I'd alternate between pullups (unweighted) to failure and dumbell rows, dropping the dumbell weight as I went. The one for the chest was a silly number of supersets alternating between dumbell flys and presses with little to no rest inbetween, both on the flat and the incline.

The DOMs the proceeding days was absolutely insane, just how I like it. :twisted:

Although, being a mere mortal - I used to only do them once per month or so. :lol:

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 22:49 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
I really do like that kind of "Volume Whoring" workout myself too. ;)

I knew it! :lol:

Quote:
My Squat variant is normally something like:

110kg 3x5 (Standard Workset)
90kg 3x5
70kg 3x6
60kg 3x8
50kg 3x10
40kg 3x12

Nice :coolbeans: Eighteen sets of squats...that is a ton of volume man. I do about that many sets if you count accessory lifts- but just squats I only do 7 or 8 sets.

Quote:
It's amazing how tough something as low as a puny 40kg can be after all that volume. That amount of volume does take quite a while, I can be in the gym for over an hour on those days.

I know, right? There are times I've been slowing down with just the bar, squeezing out that last bit of energy.

It really makes you realize how limited the amount of work one can do is- it's one thing to squat 400+ pounds for 1 (or even multiple) rep(s) in the gym- it's another entirely to do something like lunges across an open field with that on your back!

Quote:
I had a similar routine for the back too where I'd alternate between pullups (unweighted) to failure and dumbell rows, dropping the dumbell weight as I went. The one for the chest was a silly number of supersets alternating between dumbell flys and presses with little to no rest inbetween, both on the flat and the incline.

The DOMs the proceeding days was absolutely insane, just how I like it. :twisted:

I imagine- that's brutal, stacking sets involving the same muscle groups on top of each other like that. Now THAT would make a cool video :coolbeans:

Quote:
Although, being a mere mortal - I used to only do them once per month or so. :lol:

More like a "max reps once", instead of a one rep max :wink: Two sides of the spectrum- both very taxing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 11:22 
Elite Contributor

Yeah, I'm a bit of a volume whore myself too. Although I generally don't tend to "Volume Whore" too often, at most once a month usually. I do love the feeling in the proceeding days afterwards though, few things in life come close. Sex with a hot woman is probably the only thing that results in a better feeling. :P

Well, this morning I went pretty hardcore with the volume whoring - I did a total of 80 deadlifts in the gym! :twisted:

150kg 3x5 (Workset - Double my Bodyweight)
130kg 2x5
100kg 3x5, 1x10
80kg 1x10
60kg 2x10

l know I'm going to pay for it tomorrow though, since my back, glutes and hamstrings are all on fire now. :lol:

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next