LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 22:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 19:36 
Elite Contributor

Natalie Portman wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:
Been awhile since I have posted here...

As I have grown and matured in lifting, I certainly have gained more patience. Tonight I was able to benchpress 275 quite easily, but, since I haven't "lifted heavy" in a bit, I decided to wait until next week before I attempt a personal best of 290 (besides, I repped 265, which is a best anyway). Too much in one session too quickly can damage your body, and this I have learned and adapted to.

Hopefully 290 next week! :check:

Did you get to double your bodyweight on the bench yet? I remember you setting that as a goal for yourself way back.

No. I currently weigh 175 lbs. I'd rather lift and see where I wind up and perhaps drop weight to attempt the 2.0 ratio than sit at a lower weight and hit a plateau.

I seem to remember you saying you weigh 145lbs quite a while ago, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. You're about my go when it comes to weight then, I'm around 79kg or ~175lbs myself.

Still, those are mightily impressive bench numbers. My best achievement thus far for chest orientated exercises are dumbbell flys with 40kg dumbbells. Haven't benched in over a year now. :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 20:14 
Elite Contributor

Location: A Denigrative Gathering of Rejected Filth (Where the shy guys are)
Highscores: 4
foxyproxy wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Natalie Portman wrote:
Been awhile since I have posted here...

As I have grown and matured in lifting, I certainly have gained more patience. Tonight I was able to benchpress 275 quite easily, but, since I haven't "lifted heavy" in a bit, I decided to wait until next week before I attempt a personal best of 290 (besides, I repped 265, which is a best anyway). Too much in one session too quickly can damage your body, and this I have learned and adapted to.

Hopefully 290 next week! :check:

Did you get to double your bodyweight on the bench yet? I remember you setting that as a goal for yourself way back.

No. I currently weigh 175 lbs. I'd rather lift and see where I wind up and perhaps drop weight to attempt the 2.0 ratio than sit at a lower weight and hit a plateau.

I seem to remember you saying you weigh 145lbs quite a while ago, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. You're about my go when it comes to weight then, I'm around 79kg or ~175lbs myself.

Still, those are mightily impressive bench numbers. My best achievement thus far for chest orientated exercises are dumbbell flys with 40kg dumbbells. Haven't benched in over a year now. :P

How tall are you again? I say I am 5'10", but, in reality, I am more of 5'9 (3/4)".

Not sure about that weight. I used to be that in high school, but I tapered out around 155 the rest of high school and most of my college career until late in the game; following graduation I hit a steady 165. I have been at my current weight for about half a year now.

Though my squats are something laughable. I hit 285 lbs one-rep max and haven't been able to move since. Suggestions are appreciated; I've just always had weak legs.

Here is a trustworthy saying with regard to DSR: ὃς γὰρ ἔχει, δοθήσεται αὐτῷ· καὶ ὃς οὐκ ἔχει, καὶ ὃ ἔχει ἀρθήσεται ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ (Mark 4:25)

Thanks  
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2014, 20:39 
Elite Contributor

I'm 1.72m in Metric which is what I think in, or around 5'7'' or 5'8''.

My squat numbers for one rep maxes wouldn't be great either. I would have managed 140kg for a single rep, but that was a long time ago and it wouldn't have been really to parallel either. I don't know what I'd manage now. They're not a lift I like pushing it too much since I'm wary of safely failing them, so I'm not the greatest fan of shooting for one rep maxes on them.

Suggestion - you could try a marathon leg workout out centered around squats every now and then. Just once a month is enough so that you avoid over-training I think, the logic is so the muscles stay confused and have no choice but to grow stronger, given they'll adapt to the same workout done over and over after a while. The downside is you'll get the absolute worst DOMS you've ever had for the week afterwards. :P

For me, what I do for the legs is a horrendous amount of squats in one workout. I start off with my work-set, then drop the weight by 10-15kg, squat until my form suffers, drop the weight by another 10-15kg, continue until my form suffers, repeat dropping the weight as your form suffers. My work-set is to parallel with a box, but as I drop the weight I go deeper, at the very end it's full blown ass to grass squats for me. Normally works out something like this:

110kg 3x5 (workset)
90kg 3x5
80kg 3x5
70kg 3x6
60kg 3x7
40kg 3x8 (if possible)

You'd be really surprised how difficult squatting a measly 40kg is after all those sets.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 20:14 
Super Contributor

For increasing squat strength, I would recommend back squatting at various rep/weight ranges once per week (cycling this: one week do a pyramid of sets, another week do multiple one or two rep sets, another week increase the volume and do more 8+ rep sets, etc.), and supplementing with leg presses and/or paused box squats once per week.

Also, constantly stretch to enable yourself to squat deeper and deeper. As you sink deeper and deeper into the hole over time, use shorter and shorter boxes for the paused box squats, and focus on exploding out of the lowest bottom that your flexibility will allow, from a dead stop. Make sure you do NOT cheat on this by rocking forward before squatting up. It is okay to lean a bit to make sure the bar is centered over your feet, but it is NOT okay to rock forward and use this momentum to aid you out of the hole.

For back squat, I just hit 400 lbs below parallel for 1 rep on Monday.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 06:22 
Super Contributor

Got my deadlift back up to 510 lbs for 1 rep today. My lower body is now back on track and moving upward. Unfortunately, I still haven't recovered my previous upper body pushing strength since the decay I experienced doing 5x5- currently stuck at bench press 295 lbs for 1 rep (highest I had done before was 310 lbs for 1 rep) and overhead press 185 lbs for 1 rep (highest I had done before was 195 lbs for 1 rep, though that was a lucky day and I could normally just do 190 lbs for 1 rep).

I feel so incredibly weak :facepalm:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2014, 11:05 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:

:lol:

You've a funny definition of the word "weak" dude. :P

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 21:36 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Thanks, but in my view, whatever my current state is, is "weak" and must be overcome. Even if I were the strongest human on the planet, I would still be dissatisfied, always striving to grow stronger and stronger.

In good news, I got my 190 lbs overhead press back! I had to grind it out for multiple seconds, but I REFUSED to let that weight fall!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 15:41 
LS.com Legend

Been working on my abs for the past week. Nothing else matters at this point.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 20:21 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Thanks, but in my view, whatever my current state is, is "weak" and must be overcome. Even if I were the strongest human on the planet, I would still be dissatisfied, always striving to grow stronger and stronger.

In good news, I got my 190 lbs overhead press back! I had to grind it out for multiple seconds, but I REFUSED to let that weight fall!!!

Well there's no hope for me if you're weak. :wink:

I haven't been at the gym in nearly 2 weeks now thanks to that recent girl and a bunch of work travel around Europe this week. I've really been missing my workouts and normal diet as I'm totally sick of eating out in restaurants now. On the plus side, I'll be sending the bill to the company though.

Will be hitting up the barbell with sets of heavy, deep squats tomorrow though. :D

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 04:49 
Elite Contributor

Location: A Denigrative Gathering of Rejected Filth (Where the shy guys are)
Highscores: 4
Lykos wrote:

I know what you mean. The drive is so very real, but the body is woefully inadequate. I have had so much drive to lift weight far above my capacity that I feel my body is a lagging shadow of my will; I have just learned to accept this.

Finally benched 290 lbs tonight!! :clap: Onward to 295 and hopefully the coveted 300 soon.

Here is a trustworthy saying with regard to DSR: ὃς γὰρ ἔχει, δοθήσεται αὐτῷ· καὶ ὃς οὐκ ἔχει, καὶ ὃ ἔχει ἀρθήσεται ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ (Mark 4:25)

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Natalie Portman for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 09:28 
LS.com Legend

Attachment:
tmp_6249-IMG_2014110630951-768706439.jpg

Lost most of the fat I packed on months ago. But hey, at least I got my 6 pack back.

As I stated in other threads, I'm 120 lbs and 5 feet, 8 and half inches tall. The Titin Shirt that I wear (under my uniform) serves 3 purposes: 1.) It bumps me up to 128 lbs, 2.) It helps fill out the slack in my uniform, and 3.) It helps build up my level of endurance (in general.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 19:50 
Elite Contributor

Managed a few 120kg squats well below parallel today. A personal best for me. :)

I did just about manage 140kg for a one rep max years ago, but it wouldn't have been to parallel.

Albatross Fate wrote:
Attachment:

Lost most of the fat I packed on months ago. But hey, at least I got my 6 pack back.

As I stated in other threads, I'm 120 lbs and 5 feet, 8 and half inches tall. The Titin Shirt that I wear (under my uniform) serves 3 purposes: 1.) It bumps me up to 128 lbs, 2.) It helps fill out the slack in my uniform, and 3.) It helps build up my level of endurance (in general.)

Have you ever tried piling on muscle properly? As in eating correctly and doing big heavy compounds like Squats and Deadlifts?

Your six-pack would look a lot better if you added a bit more muscle to the equation.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 21:02 
LS.com Legend

foxyproxy wrote:
Managed a few 120kg squats well below parallel today. A personal best for me. :)

I did just about manage 140kg for a one rep max years ago, but it wouldn't have been to parallel.

Albatross Fate wrote:
Attachment:

Have you ever tried piling on muscle properly? As in eating correctly and doing big heavy compounds like Squats and Deadlifts?

Your six-pack would look a lot better if you added a bit more muscle to the equation.

:facepalm:

So says the guy who has no problem digesting his food "properly" in the first place.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2014, 21:30 
LS.com Legend

Given my particular past, which I've posted about, It's no mystery as to why I have the problems that I do. My doctor said nothing is wrong with me and my "shrinks" put me on SSRIs. But what gets to me Isn't the SSRIs themselves. It was knowing that they actually HELPED; until the darkness inside me overpowered it. The relapse that I suffered taught me that I needed something STRONGER. But everyone keeps trying to shove the same bullshit down my throat. My stomach associates physical pain when there's food in it. Is that really so hard to understand?

Thanks  
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2014, 00:51 
Elite Contributor

Albatross Fate wrote:
So says the guy who has no problem digesting his food "properly" in the first place.

Albatross Fate wrote:
Given my particular past, which I've posted about, It's no mystery as to why I have the problems that I do. My doctor said nothing is wrong with me and my "shrinks" put me on SSRIs. But what gets to me Isn't the SSRIs themselves. It was knowing that they actually HELPED; until the darkness inside me overpowered it. The relapse that I suffered taught me that I needed something STRONGER. But everyone keeps trying to shove the same bullshit down my throat. My stomach associates physical pain when there's food in it. Is that really so hard to understand?

Yeah, come to think of it, you've posted as such already.

Apologies, I had forgotten.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 67  Next