LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 22:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 08:12 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Damn dude, injuries are rough. That particular one does not sound fun.

Not fun at all- right after it happened I could barely pull on anything at all on that side without feeling pain.

Luckily the test pull-ups today went great! :coolbeans: There was no pain whatsoever, and I could do them all symmetrically and normally. Time to start testing deadlifts again.

Another time I sprained my ankle falling off my horse: I just wrapped it up, did overhead presses and bent-over rows that same day, and wrapped it up again and did lighter (315 and under) squats the next day. I always find some way to continue progressing through injuries- I HATE limitations. I wasn't able to do calf raises for several months after that, though.

Quote:
Thankfully with me, in my 4+ years of lifting now I haven't got an injury yet. The worst I've done is give myself a muscle imbalance in places resulting in some mild knee or shoulder pain in the early days, thankfully something like that is easy fix by good form. It makes me pretty anal about form these days though. :P

Good to hear- how often do you attempt one rep maxes, out of curiosity?

Quote:
Squats and Deadlifts I normally actually fit in on the one day now. I'll go heavy on one and light on the other, then the next week I'll swap them around.

I may have to do something like that to incorporate deadlifts more regularly. I always do such high intensities- a light day for me still peaks at 80-90% of my 1RM.

Quote:
Even though I rather Deadlifts since they feel far more primal and beastly, if I was to do just one it would have to be Squats. I've found in the past if I concentrate too much on Deadlifting and not Squatting, it seems to make my hamstrings stronger than the quads or something because I seem to develop a bit of an imbalance after a while.

They definitely feel more primal- squats are a very technical lift. I miss deadlifts. But like you, I find I get better overall development if I focus on squats, as opposed to focusing on deadlifts. I had to start throwing in weighted back extensions when my posterior chain starting lagging behind everything else and causing form breakdown during heavier squats, though.

Quote:
Alternating them like I do once a weeks seems to work for me, but then I haven't been shooting for one rep maxes in a while now. Might be a different story then. :P

Intensity definitely makes a difference. What were your one rep maxes last time you checked?

Thanks  
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 18:32 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
Not fun at all- right after it happened I could barely pull on anything at all on that side without feeling pain.

Luckily the test pull-ups today went great! :coolbeans: There was no pain whatsoever, and I could do them all symmetrically and normally. Time to start testing deadlifts again.

Sounds like you're on the mend so. It's a nice feeling when you rectify a problem like that. :coolbeans:

BTW, are you still on a Zero Carb diet?

Lykos wrote:
Good to hear- how often do you attempt one rep maxes, out of curiosity?

Not often at all to be honest. Once every few months, if that. I probably should do them more often, or at least try. :P

I don't really mind doing one rep maxes on Deadlifts, but I'm wary of them with Squats. I probably shouldn't be though, since I squat in a rack with safety catches on either side.

Lykos wrote:
I may have to do something like that to incorporate deadlifts more regularly. I always do such high intensities- a light day for me still peaks at 80-90% of my 1RM.

It definitely helps to mix things up on a regular basis. I could actually do with mixing things up myself again.

Lykos wrote:
Intensity definitely makes a difference. What were your one rep maxes last time you checked?

I squatted 130kg in the start of the year for a single rep to parallel. For the Deadlift, the best I did recently (this month) was 170kg for a set of two. For the bench press, I haven't done that in years now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 19:40 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Sounds like you're on the mend so. It's a nice feeling when you rectify a problem like that. :coolbeans:

I just hope deadlifts don't blow that muscle apart again the first time I try them...

Quote:
BTW, are you still on a Zero Carb diet?

Yep, for the most part: zero carb diet on weekdays, carb-ups on the weekends. Well, probably more like 10-20 g carbs on weekdays, if you count the small amount in eggs and milk.

Quote:
Not often at all to be honest. Once every few months, if that. I probably should do them more often, or at least try. :P

Definitely man- they're great for forcing nerve development!

I probably do them too often, though...(twice a month).

Quote:
I don't really mind doing one rep maxes on Deadlifts, but I'm wary of them with Squats. I probably shouldn't be though, since I squat in a rack with safety catches on either side.

Try it man! I go to failure on squats all the time. When you fail, just return back to the very bottom, then tip forward slowly until the bar catches on the racks. At this point I do it so controlled and quietly that a lot of people don't even notice it when it happens.

You're advanced enough that you know how to safely approach your limits and survive any slight breakdown in form :coolbeans:

Quote:
It definitely helps to mix things up on a regular basis. I could actually do with mixing things up myself again.

What's your schedule look like right now?

Quote:
I squatted 130kg in the start of the year for a single rep to parallel. For the Deadlift, the best I did recently (this month) was 170kg for a set of two. For the bench press, I haven't done that in years now.

I don't entirely blame you for not testing bench :lol: I remember the first time I failed on bench, at something like 150 lbs- let's just say I don't even remember exactly how I got that thing off me.

There are times I've literally slid the bar down my body to get out from under it, like this:

These days I simply bench without clips, and when I fail, I just toss it off to one side to get the plates off. This works now, benching in the 300's, but when I get into the 400's I'll probably just have to get a spotter every time.

I'd love to have this bench, though:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 22:13 
Elite Contributor

I've got a rack like this so thankfully I don't have to worry about killing myself if I fail. Doesn't keep me from injuring myself, but that's just a hazard of being a decrapitated old man.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 18:54 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:
I just hope deadlifts don't blow that muscle apart again the first time I try them...

Yep, for the most part: zero carb diet on weekdays, carb-ups on the weekends. Well, probably more like 10-20 g carbs on weekdays, if you count the small amount in eggs and milk.

I'm mainly on a Keto diet myself too. It was an experiment at the start of the year albeit for other reasons than losing bodyfat.

But I have to say I'm really liking the way I've visible abs now. It's pretty damn awesome to have a body better than like 90% of other guys. :coolbeans:

Lykos wrote:
Definitely man- they're great for forcing nerve development!

I probably do them too often, though...(twice a month).

Try it man! I go to failure on squats all the time. When you fail, just return back to the very bottom, then tip forward slowly until the bar catches on the racks. At this point I do it so controlled and quietly that a lot of people don't even notice it when it happens.

You're advanced enough that you know how to safely approach your limits and survive any slight breakdown in form :coolbeans:

I really do need to try focusing on one rep maxes at some point to see what my numbers really would end up at, it might be interesting if nothing else. :?

At the very least I'd love a Deadlift of 200kg which I suspect would be quite achievable with some work.

Quote:
What's your schedule look like right now?

I usually work out 3 days a week, with a Chest/Shoulders Workout, a Back Workout and then a Leg Workout.

The Chest workout is concentrated around supersets of Dumbell Flys/Presses, Military Pressing, Weighted dips etc. The Back Workout is mainly Weighted Pullups/Chinups, Pullovers, and variants of Rows. The leg workout then is usually solely Squats and Deadlifts.

I've gotten some good gains from this routine, I try to mix it up every so often so I continue to get nice and sore the following day. I'm due to do it again around now.

Quote:
I don't entirely blame you for not testing bench :lol: I remember the first time I failed on bench, at something like 150 lbs- let's just say I don't even remember exactly how I got that thing off me

Ah.. there's a bit of a technique to the "Roll of Shame". You get the hang of it after a while. :lol:

I have to say I much rather Dumbell Flys to the Bench Press though, they've been better for adding definition in the pecs for me too at least. They're not really the type of lift to do one rep maxes on though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2015, 08:36 
Super Contributor

Nature Boy wrote:
I've got a rack like this so thankfully I don't have to worry about killing myself if I fail. Doesn't keep me from injuring myself, but that's just a hazard of being a decrapitated old man.

The bulk of the vast majority of my workouts is done at a rack like that. The only exceptions are the bench press; dumbbell, machine, and isolation exercises; and deadlifts in case the rack is already occupied (otherwise I just do those at the rack too).

-

foxyproxy wrote:
I'm mainly on a Keto diet myself too. It was an experiment at the start of the year albeit for other reasons than losing bodyfat.

What were your reasons for experimenting?

Quote:
But I have to say I'm really liking the way I've visible abs now. It's pretty damn awesome to have a body better than like 90% of other guys. :coolbeans:

That's especially meaningful given you started out with a higher bodyfat before. :coolbeans:

I'm the opposite- an insignificant little stick that had to pack on weight :lol: so needless to say my goals with a ketogenic diet have nothing to do with losing bodyfat, either.

Quote:
I really do need to try focusing on one rep maxes at some point to see what my numbers really would end up at, it might be interesting if nothing else. :?

Haha just kidding man- but definitely still do it! As long as you're safe about it you won't regret it :coolbeans: I'm sure you've got a lot more than 130kg in you at this point.

Maybe go to failure on purpose while doing some lighter squat sets to get used to it, then attempt a 1RM? That way you can rehearse doing a safe, controlled fail.

Quote:
At the very least I'd love a Deadlift of 200kg which I suspect would be quite achievable with some work.

I'd say it's just around the corner, given that you've done 190kg before in the past, and just recently did 170kg for 2 (which probably translates to 180kg for a single).

Hmmm...It might be cool to start posting personal record videos here, now that I think of it.

Quote:
I usually work out 3 days a week, with a Chest/Shoulders Workout, a Back Workout and then a Leg Workout.

The Chest workout is concentrated around supersets of Dumbell Flys/Presses, Military Pressing, Weighted dips etc. The Back Workout is mainly Weighted Pullups/Chinups, Pullovers, and variants of Rows. The leg workout then is usually solely Squats and Deadlifts.

I've gotten some good gains from this routine, I try to mix it up every so often so I continue to get nice and sore the following day. I'm due to do it again around now.

Interesting...I've always found my own schedule is pretty idiosyncratic. I still divide workouts into upper/lower (two upper, two lower per week). Plus, while I've dabbled with dumbbell exercises, do a few of them regularly, have thrown them at the end of workouts, etc., my workouts are always based around barbell exercises.

Quote:
Ah.. there's a bit of a technique to the "Roll of Shame". You get the hang of it after a while. :lol:

:lol:

I prefer the "Dump of Frustration"- at least you get to angrily drop the weights on the floor when you fail.

Quote:
I have to say I much rather Dumbell Flys to the Bench Press though, they've been better for adding definition in the pecs for me too at least. They're not really the type of lift to do one rep maxes on though.

Hey man, don't diss my 120 lbs dumbbell flys. I worked hard and am proud of that.

Obviously joking :lol: one rep maxxing on that would be a great way to injure yourself.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Lykos for the above post:
Nature Boy
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 22:09 
Elite Contributor

Lykos wrote:

I've some chronic problems given to me by a stupid fucking doctor putting me on antibiotics back in my teens, hence the diet.

..but thankfully I'm seeing improvement all the time. Slow going though.

Lykos wrote:
I'm the opposite- an insignificant little stick that had to pack on weight :lol: so needless to say my goals with a ketogenic diet have nothing to do with losing bodyfat, either.

Before & After photos lined up side by side are awesome. It's pretty damn awesome to have gone from borderline obese to having abs and pretty damn good muscular definition now. :coolbeans:

Lykos wrote:
Maybe go to failure on purpose while doing some lighter squat sets to get used to it, then attempt a 1RM? That way you can rehearse doing a safe, controlled fail.

I'd say it's just around the corner, given that you've done 190kg before in the past, and just recently did 170kg for 2 (which probably translates to 180kg for a single).

It really is something I need to try. Kind of been putting it off up until this point. :lol:

Lykos wrote:
Interesting...I've always found my own schedule is pretty idiosyncratic. I still divide workouts into upper/lower (two upper, two lower per week). Plus, while I've dabbled with dumbbell exercises, do a few of them regularly, have thrown them at the end of workouts, etc., my workouts are always based around barbell exercises.

I prefer the "Dump of Frustration"- at least you get to angrily drop the weights on the floor when you fail.

:lol:

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 22:24 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Lykos wrote:

I've some chronic problems given to me by a stupid fucking doctor putting me on antibiotics back in my teens, hence the diet.

..but thankfully I'm seeing improvement all the time. Slow going though.

Gotcha. When I first learned about the ketogenic diet, I was blown away at how simply changing your cellular metabolism through dietary control could exert all these health-related effects: weight loss, epilepsy control, ALS treatment, Alzheimer's prevention, cancer suppression, brain energy boosting, etc. I felt like I figured out a real-life cheat code!

I'm curious what your conditions are, but it seems you'd rather keep them private, so no worries :coolbeans: I hope you see full recovery someday.

Quote:
It really is something I need to try. Kind of been putting it off up until this point. :lol:

Keep us updated man :coolbeans:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 23:39 
Super Contributor

Did my test deadlifts today: 515 for 1 no problem :coolbeans: I felt my teres major acting up slightly as I got into heavier warmups, but by the time I got into the 500's it felt great! I've been doing one back squat day and one box squat day per week- I'm going to replace box squats with deadlifts every other week from now on. Time to shoot for 600!

Thanks  
foxyproxy, Nature Boy
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 18:26 
Elite Contributor

Wow, Beastly!! :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 08:09 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Wow, Beastly!! :P

I'm certainly pleased I can pick back up where I left off :wink:

I will be honest though...I still feel like such a wimp :facepalm: In my head I'm like "only 515..."

-

My back was still sore yesterday from deadlifts earlier, so instead of the usual back squats I did front squats to spare my back: a new record of 325 for 1!

I need to start recording these records and posting them to this thread :coolbeans:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 18:32 
Elite Contributor

Yeah... only 515. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soreness in your back after deadlifts is probably the worst of all, given it can cripple you nicely if it's very bad. I had some of it at the start of the week again after the deadlifts last weekend, but it wasn't so bad, I only really get it after I go really heavy.

I just about pulled 170kg for a 3rd rep last weekend, but by fuck was the last rep ugly, form was god-awful. :oops:

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank foxyproxy for the above post:
Lykos
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 06:37 
Super Contributor

foxyproxy wrote:
Yeah... only 515. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know...I know... :lol:

Quote:
Soreness in your back after deadlifts is probably the worst of all, given it can cripple you nicely if it's very bad. I had some of it at the start of the week again after the deadlifts last weekend, but it wasn't so bad, I only really get it after I go really heavy.

It is definitely crippling- your back goes, and most compound lifts are out of the question.

One time I decided to do bent-over rows and overhead presses the day after heavy deadlifts, and a couple days after that decided to do back squats- big mistake! My back was simply not ready for those squats- I injured my upper and lower back doing a heavy single at 395 for 1. It took me a few weeks to get my squat back to normal after that.

This time I played it safe, and instead of the overhead presses and bent-over rows the day or so after heavy deadlifts, I just did a bunch of isolation exercises that target the same muscles, but that don't require much back activation to maintain stability. Then I did the front squats instead of the back squats. This worked great- no injuries and I'm good to go :coolbeans: Also, now that I'll be doing deadlifts more regularly they won't be quite as devastating on my lower back every time I do them.

Quote:
I just about pulled 170kg for a 3rd rep last weekend, but by fuck was the last rep ugly, form was god-awful. :oops:

As long as you're not injured, it's all part of the growing process :coolbeans:

Thanks  
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2015, 06:44 
Super Contributor

Took some videos :coolbeans:

I went ahead and included my heavy dragon breathing DBZ powerups in the beginning, haha. Maybe I'll take those out next time. These ones were relatively brief- I usually reserve the long, intense, growling ones for squat and deadlift maxes. It looks and sounds pretty ridiculous, but I assure you it works :sunglasses:

Bent-over row one rep max: 320 lbs

Overhead press one rep max: 195 lbs

These are good examples of the mild-to-moderate form breakdown I discussed in this thread earlier, that happens during very heavy sets. You can see in the bent-over row my upper body raises a bit, I use my back to produce some momentum, and the bar doesn't touch too high up on my body, and with the overhead press my back arches quite a bit and I have to grind it out for a second- this is normal during one rep maxes, and these are precisely the signs that show you that you are indeed pushing your body to its limits and have achieved a true one rep max. I'll take some other videos on lighter sets next week to show what kind of form you should have during normal working sets.

Do NOT try to copy this until you have consistently and systematically lifted weights for at least a few years. If you have not built up your body for these stresses over time, you WILL get injured trying something like this.

Thanks  
Nature Boy, foxyproxy
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 06:51 
Super Contributor

Here are videos of 4 of 7 of my squat sets today.

Did a warmup, then:

405 lbs for 1 rep. Unfortunately I didn't have the second rep in me today, like I usually do. Oh well, we'll see how it goes next week :sunglasses: This is a good example of a safe, controlled, quiet fail.

Next I did a couple sets at 385 (didn't record these, 3 reps and 2 reps).

365 lbs for 6 reps:

Then I did another set at 365 lbs I didn't record (4 reps).

315 lbs for 12 reps. I forgot the camera was recording so I just started taking the third plates off before I realized- I went ahead and left it in :wink: I love taking those 45's off with one arm like that, it helps keep my forearms, biceps, and shoulders in peak shape, plus it's fun as hell. I also love loading them onto the leg press machine one after the other like they're nothing- fun as fuck!

And finally, 225 lbs to failure- made it to 21 reps! I was tired at this point.

Followed this up with 5 sets of calf raises and 4 sets of cable crunches. I can't fucking wait for bench presses tomorrow and deadlifts again on Thursday :coolbeans:

Thanks  
foxyproxy
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next