LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 04:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 11:08 
Offline
Elite Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 06 May 2011, 01:44
Posts: 2584
Location: Norn Iron
Thanks: 2926
Thanked:
340 times in 287 posts
monkeybutler wrote:
Put work into the profile. You can even make it pure fiction, as long as it's interesting. I'm a PT combination locksmith, and in my spare time I burn down stores that sell fedoras.


Unless it's obviously meant to be a joke, wouldn't it be lying? Also, some people may not understand and take it literally.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:29 
Offline
New Poster

Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 04:55
Posts: 10
Thanks: 5
Thanked:
8 times in 3 posts
Enginehead wrote:
monkeybutler wrote:
Put work into the profile. You can even make it pure fiction, as long as it's interesting. I'm a PT combination locksmith, and in my spare time I burn down stores that sell fedoras.


Unless it's obviously meant to be a joke, wouldn't it be lying? Also, some people may not understand and take it literally.


Well, the idea is to do it in a playful way that shows you have a sense of humor - that you're an interesting, even mysterious person. Like... no one is going to believe I'm a combination locksmith or a fedora arsonist. That's ridiculous.

Most Incels/love shy guys are boring as shit for women because they're totally transparent as conversationalists from the get-go.

As a copywriter, I think of my prospective customers in a similar way you should treat your prospective dates. If you say something boring, cliche or transparently self-serving, it sends a signal to the prospect: I've seen this before. EVERY woman has encountered a guy with no confidence who reeks of desperation, and they're not interested. There are guys who are transparent and confident, good looking, successful, etc. - so why settle for someone who is transparent and desperate?

But to be interesting and mysterious is by definition to say something new or different in a way your prospect hasn't seen before.

This is off topic though. My original point was to make your profile stand out by writing something funny, unusual, mysterious, playful in a way that's not overly corny, cliche or strange.

At the very least, scan your profile for actual cliches. Any kind of idiomatic expression should be deleted or modified. Instead of saying, "til the cows come home" change it to "til the cows leave home."

Instead of saying, "i like candlelit dinners and walks on the beach" say, "i like candlelit beaches and walks on dinner."

It sounds silly but cliches turn off the human brain. If you can successfully flip them around to make something new and funny, you've re-engaged your reader. Or just get rid of them altogether.

This is all about the dating profile. Once you're on the date, you're on your own, but if you're not getting lots of dates through dating website, you're doing something terribly wrong or you live in an area with no population.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 10:51 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 22:52
Posts: 160
Location: London, England
Thanks: 8
Thanked:
37 times in 32 posts
I have found out since I have been using dating sites on and off for numerous years that girls who have profiles with little or no information at all on them are the most likely to flake. That's because she is on there to either boost her ego or attention seeking. The more effort a woman puts into her profile, the more serious she is about finding a date.

One of the best bits of advice I've got is when making a profile, you have to be different from the rest of the pack. Believe it or not, having a profile where you do not describe yourself directly and posting a few of your thoughts and opinions does provoke a response from a woman whether it's an agreement or a disagreement. That's because it is different and you come across as an interesting guy.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 04:56 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 14 Aug 2009, 23:58
Posts: 311
Thanks: 1
Thanked:
4 times in 4 posts
One word of caution, on many dating sites there are often women looking for a long term relationship.

This is fine if this is what you want but be careful and only commit when you are ready. If you are looking just for companionship, specifically state so.


I was just in a situation where even though I was wanting a relationship, the woman was wanting to move a lot faster than I wanted to.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 13:23 
Offline
New Poster

Joined: 15 Mar 2016, 14:55
Posts: 10
3 times in 2 posts
I got way more responses from OkCupid than Match or PoF. But that's probably because my profile pictures are way better than the webcam shots I used to take.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 11:48 
Offline
New Poster

Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 21:26
Posts: 6
1 time in 1 post
I tried online dating in 2010 and had three dates (after trying to contact a lot of women) and all three were just terrible. In the photos they seem one person but then you meet them for real and they are different people (in the worse obviously).

Therefore even though it is hard to meet someone outside for a love shy, I prefer to already approach someone that I know that I would be interested to physically (then again maybe I talk to her and lose all interest) compared to chatting and then seeing her and losing all interest as she is not what I was expecting/what seemed to be in the pictures.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 07:09 
Offline
New Poster

Joined: 21 Oct 2016, 15:26
Posts: 8
Thanks: 1
Thanked:
4 times in 1 post
I have followed the advice to the letter, and having tried several dating sites the conclusion I draw, is that its all a f*****g lottery! What do i mean, several friends of mine have found love and marriage via online dating. For myself, it has been serial indifference! In 10yrs of doing this I can count the number of replies from availalble women on 1 hand! Further, I find it particularly painful when you do post honest pictures and descriptions and you put yourself out there, to be discover that your status on line is no different than the indifference that you suffer in the real world!


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 22:39 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:33
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked:
6 times in 5 posts
I have recently started online dating, I've got a picture and a description on my profile but I'm not getting any replies yet.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 03:31 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 22:52
Posts: 160
Location: London, England
Thanks: 8
Thanked:
37 times in 32 posts
zx123 wrote:
I have recently started online dating, I've got a picture and a description on my profile but I'm not getting any replies yet.

What kind of messages are you sending?


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 03:39 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 31 Jan 2016, 22:52
Posts: 160
Location: London, England
Thanks: 8
Thanked:
37 times in 32 posts
Komodo wrote:
I got way more responses from OkCupid than Match or PoF. But that's probably because my profile pictures are way better than the webcam shots I used to take.

OKCupid is where I met my girlfriend and it's my favourite hunting ground online when I am single. It's the site I got most replies and dates from.

I cannot stand POF as I was banned from it as I think a woman I was in a heated debate with reported me cause I dropped an F-bomb a few times :rofl:

I was also banned for doing a fake female profile experiment lol.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 21:24 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:33
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked:
6 times in 5 posts
I've got good picture but my profile isn't very good yet. I think I'll try to use a few tips from this thread and make a better profile. The problem with Plenty of fish is that it asks how long your longest relationship was, and think a lot of women are put off because mine says less than one year.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 00:51 
Offline
Contributor

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 17:37
Posts: 958
Thanks: 48
Thanked:
147 times in 120 posts
zx123 wrote:
I've got good picture but my profile isn't very good yet. I think I'll try to use a few tips from this thread and make a better profile. The problem with Plenty of fish is that it asks how long your longest relationship was, and think a lot of women are put off because mine says less than one year.


I think you could be a bit dishonest and say 3 years! If you succeed in meeting someone, and you find the need, you can always tell her you exaggerated a bit!

FS


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Fairly shy for the above post:
zx123
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:34 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:33
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked:
6 times in 5 posts
I think you could be a bit dishonest and say 3 years! If you succeed in meeting someone, and you find the need, you can always tell her you exaggerated a bit!

I might try that.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:49 
Offline
Poster

Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 18:33
Posts: 35
Thanks: 3
Thanked:
6 times in 5 posts
I have been on Plenty of fish and ok cupid fir a while not and I am not getting any responses. Even when I message girls they don't message me back, one of them even blocked me.


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 21:54 
Offline
Contributor

Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 17:37
Posts: 958
Thanks: 48
Thanked:
147 times in 120 posts
zx123 wrote:
I think you could be a bit dishonest and say 3 years! If you succeed in meeting someone, and you find the need, you can always tell her you exaggerated a bit!

I might try that.

The other option may be to simply not answer that question - or does the software insist on answers to everything?

FS


Top
 Profile  
Thanks  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group