LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 04:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: 01 May 2014, 11:08 
Elite Contributor

monkeybutler wrote:
Put work into the profile. You can even make it pure fiction, as long as it's interesting. I'm a PT combination locksmith, and in my spare time I burn down stores that sell fedoras.

Unless it's obviously meant to be a joke, wouldn't it be lying? Also, some people may not understand and take it literally.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:29 
New Poster

Enginehead wrote:
monkeybutler wrote:
Put work into the profile. You can even make it pure fiction, as long as it's interesting. I'm a PT combination locksmith, and in my spare time I burn down stores that sell fedoras.

Unless it's obviously meant to be a joke, wouldn't it be lying? Also, some people may not understand and take it literally.

Well, the idea is to do it in a playful way that shows you have a sense of humor - that you're an interesting, even mysterious person. Like... no one is going to believe I'm a combination locksmith or a fedora arsonist. That's ridiculous.

Most Incels/love shy guys are boring as shit for women because they're totally transparent as conversationalists from the get-go.

As a copywriter, I think of my prospective customers in a similar way you should treat your prospective dates. If you say something boring, cliche or transparently self-serving, it sends a signal to the prospect: I've seen this before. EVERY woman has encountered a guy with no confidence who reeks of desperation, and they're not interested. There are guys who are transparent and confident, good looking, successful, etc. - so why settle for someone who is transparent and desperate?

But to be interesting and mysterious is by definition to say something new or different in a way your prospect hasn't seen before.

This is off topic though. My original point was to make your profile stand out by writing something funny, unusual, mysterious, playful in a way that's not overly corny, cliche or strange.

At the very least, scan your profile for actual cliches. Any kind of idiomatic expression should be deleted or modified. Instead of saying, "til the cows come home" change it to "til the cows leave home."

Instead of saying, "i like candlelit dinners and walks on the beach" say, "i like candlelit beaches and walks on dinner."

It sounds silly but cliches turn off the human brain. If you can successfully flip them around to make something new and funny, you've re-engaged your reader. Or just get rid of them altogether.

This is all about the dating profile. Once you're on the date, you're on your own, but if you're not getting lots of dates through dating website, you're doing something terribly wrong or you live in an area with no population.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 10:51 
Poster

I have found out since I have been using dating sites on and off for numerous years that girls who have profiles with little or no information at all on them are the most likely to flake. That's because she is on there to either boost her ego or attention seeking. The more effort a woman puts into her profile, the more serious she is about finding a date.

One of the best bits of advice I've got is when making a profile, you have to be different from the rest of the pack. Believe it or not, having a profile where you do not describe yourself directly and posting a few of your thoughts and opinions does provoke a response from a woman whether it's an agreement or a disagreement. That's because it is different and you come across as an interesting guy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 04:56 
Poster

One word of caution, on many dating sites there are often women looking for a long term relationship.

This is fine if this is what you want but be careful and only commit when you are ready. If you are looking just for companionship, specifically state so.

I was just in a situation where even though I was wanting a relationship, the woman was wanting to move a lot faster than I wanted to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 13:23 
New Poster

3 times in 2 posts
I got way more responses from OkCupid than Match or PoF. But that's probably because my profile pictures are way better than the webcam shots I used to take.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 11:48 
New Poster

1 time in 1 post
I tried online dating in 2010 and had three dates (after trying to contact a lot of women) and all three were just terrible. In the photos they seem one person but then you meet them for real and they are different people (in the worse obviously).

Therefore even though it is hard to meet someone outside for a love shy, I prefer to already approach someone that I know that I would be interested to physically (then again maybe I talk to her and lose all interest) compared to chatting and then seeing her and losing all interest as she is not what I was expecting/what seemed to be in the pictures.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2016, 07:09 
New Poster

I have followed the advice to the letter, and having tried several dating sites the conclusion I draw, is that its all a f*****g lottery! What do i mean, several friends of mine have found love and marriage via online dating. For myself, it has been serial indifference! In 10yrs of doing this I can count the number of replies from availalble women on 1 hand! Further, I find it particularly painful when you do post honest pictures and descriptions and you put yourself out there, to be discover that your status on line is no different than the indifference that you suffer in the real world!

Thanks  
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017, 22:39 
Poster

I have recently started online dating, I've got a picture and a description on my profile but I'm not getting any replies yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 03:31 
Poster

zx123 wrote:
I have recently started online dating, I've got a picture and a description on my profile but I'm not getting any replies yet.

What kind of messages are you sending?

Thanks  
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 03:39 
Poster

Komodo wrote:
I got way more responses from OkCupid than Match or PoF. But that's probably because my profile pictures are way better than the webcam shots I used to take.

OKCupid is where I met my girlfriend and it's my favourite hunting ground online when I am single. It's the site I got most replies and dates from.

I cannot stand POF as I was banned from it as I think a woman I was in a heated debate with reported me cause I dropped an F-bomb a few times :rofl:

I was also banned for doing a fake female profile experiment lol.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2017, 21:24 
Poster

I've got good picture but my profile isn't very good yet. I think I'll try to use a few tips from this thread and make a better profile. The problem with Plenty of fish is that it asks how long your longest relationship was, and think a lot of women are put off because mine says less than one year.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 00:51 
Contributor

zx123 wrote:
I've got good picture but my profile isn't very good yet. I think I'll try to use a few tips from this thread and make a better profile. The problem with Plenty of fish is that it asks how long your longest relationship was, and think a lot of women are put off because mine says less than one year.

I think you could be a bit dishonest and say 3 years! If you succeed in meeting someone, and you find the need, you can always tell her you exaggerated a bit!

FS

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Fairly shy for the above post:
zx123
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:34 
Poster

I think you could be a bit dishonest and say 3 years! If you succeed in meeting someone, and you find the need, you can always tell her you exaggerated a bit!

I might try that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 20:49 
Poster

I have been on Plenty of fish and ok cupid fir a while not and I am not getting any responses. Even when I message girls they don't message me back, one of them even blocked me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 21:54 
Contributor

zx123 wrote:

I might try that.

The other option may be to simply not answer that question - or does the software insist on answers to everything?

FS

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next