LS.com homepage  •   LS.com FAQ  •   Resources
In the media  •   Articles  •   WIKI
It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 17:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This is the one of the guest-viewable discussion areas. If you haven't already, sign up as a user (everything is, and always will be, completely free)! Users can engage in discussion in both guest-viewable and member-only subforums. There's also an arcade.

Please post in good faith. We support freedom of speech here but deliberately inflammatory posts will be deleted. Use common sense when writing posts and be sure to read the guidelines (and weep) before posting.

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:28 
New Poster

What should I do when psychologists and psychiatrists don't help?

I've been going to both psychologists and psychiatrists for 3 years now. I started using anti-depressive pills, and the dosage increased slowly until achieve the maximum possible. I still cry every week.

I went to different psychologists. The one I liked most (but, I have to say, she wasn't that good) have abandoned me. I tried different self-help books, but usually I get even sadder reading them.

Please, what should I do now?

Still with hope,
A very depressed guy.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Depression
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 16:06 
Elite Contributor

Whats the source of your depression exactly?

Thanks  
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 16:32 
LS.com Legend

I'm right there with you man. I was recently diagnosed with major depression and anxiety myself. They didn't really do much for me in terms of "talk therapy". They just put me on meds and pretty much maxed me out. It helped for a little while and actually helped me put on some weight, but other than that... nothing much has really changed. Nothing is officially "resolved" and the depression still lingers.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Albatross Fate for the above post:
oncebitten55
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 13:59 
Poster

I'm in a very similar situation to you, man.
I just recently quit both my regular social worker and my psychiatrist, who I had been seeing for 2-1/2years because it was going nowhere because the source of my depression has been my in el for the last 5 years, but they say they can't help me with my dating life because its "outside the scope of therapy"

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Speccter for the above post:
oncebitten55
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 16:26 
Divine Comedian

istillbelive wrote:
What should I do when psychologists and psychiatrists don't help?

I've been going to both psychologists and psychiatrists for 3 years now. I started using anti-depressive pills, and the dosage increased slowly until achieve the maximum possible. I still cry every week.

I went to different psychologists. The one I liked most (but, I have to say, she wasn't that good) have abandoned me. I tried different self-help books, but usually I get even sadder reading them.

Please, what should I do now?

Still with hope,
A very depressed guy.

You cannot solve your depression while you're incel. That would be like curing a fever while you have cancer and claiming you're now somehow cured.

https://incelsandmalesexualists.com/

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Dante Alighieri for the above post:
istillbelive, Speccter, Kali Yuga
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 18:08 
New Poster

Mitchell, I don't really know the cause. It maybe because I'm solitaire, because I have the strong feeling I'm a sexual failure and also because my professional goals seem to be impossible...

Thanks  
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 09:22 
LS.com Legend

The hardest part (for me) is having no "friends". [Don't get me wrong, there are days in which I actually enjoy being "alone" all day. Unfortunately, I'm "human". I have my good days and then I have my bad.]

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Albatross Fate for the above post:
istillbelive
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 12:42 
Flip-flopping fornicator

Check out the book "get it done when you're depressed" by Julie Fast. It helps getting through the day and staying productive with the end goal that your successes help you to overcome the depression eventually.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank sarieas for the above post:
OdDCy
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 20:28 
Poster

Depression is difficult to deal with. I can not offer any help but to say keep trying everyday. Things sometimes are not quiet as bad as they seem and tomorrow you just dont know. Things may be that bit better.
As for shrinks count yourself lucky you are not here in Ireland. The treatment is woeful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 00:06 
Extensive Contributor

The only thing I find that works for me is distraction, I try to keep busy to take my mind off of how shit my life is I know it's not really an answer but it's worked so far.

They say just be yourself, what they mean is be yourself just so long as it conforms to our ideals

All the animals I eat, eat vegetables, so technically I'm a vegan

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank AKU for the above post:
oncebitten55
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 05:33 
Super Contributor

Be sure to check off the other possibilities as well. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) can be helped with sunlamps. It's basically a kind of depression or it goes with depression in that the depression gets worse in the winter. Sleep apnea is also a big culprit. I had to have surgery because I was waking up 53 times per hour at night. Hyperthyroidism and some symptoms of high blood pressure have depressive symptoms.
If you've got ADHD/depression combo, vyvanse can help. If you're bipolar, mood stabilizers like Lamictal can help. If you have generalized anxiety and/or obsessive compulsive thinking, meditation and exercise can help. Above all, exercise can help. I HATE working out, but recently advice I read about from some guru in Maxim magazine really helped me. He said, "if your excuse is I just can't make it to the gym. Shut up. Just drop to the floor and do some pushups and sit ups. You'll be surprised how good you feel" I'm just so lethargic, but dropping to the floor has been magic. I get 10-15 minutes in and it makes a huge difference and moving me up to the point where I'll actually get to the gym.
Last but not least, there's your incel status, but are you more incel or love shy? Do you talk to women and get rejected or do you get scoped but don't have the nerve to talk to them? I'm still depressed and love shy, but trying to work on getting my shit together and hope that it'll snowball until I can start taking some initiative with women. We're here for you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 05:35 
Super Contributor

Oh yeah. Both alcohol and marijuana fuck with your sleep and make you depressed. So, if you're self medicating, the doctor prescribed drugs won't do shit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 19:14 
Elite Contributor

I wish I knew any answer. I know that most self-help books are terrible and should be burned... maybe there are good ones, but they are few and far in between.

Psychiatrists are awful to deal with. The only use for them is to supply drugs. Unfortunately you might be dragged through sessions of bullshit, when the problem is likely outside of your control or their control.

Running up against the realities of this world would depress anyone who is on the losing end.

It is possible that anti-depressants are exacerbating the problem, if you are supposed to feel "happy" when reality suggests that you should be sad. I know the one time in my adult life I was pushed into taking anti-depressants, I was always hot, itchy, irritated, sweating, and bloated to over 200lbs - most of that pure fat, that was beginning to wreck my health severely. Thank God I was able to get off of that horrible drug (wellbutrin). How the hell could anyone improve with something like that, I have no idea.

Maybe all the things I am saying are not helpful, and I should stop yammering in a public space. If it is possible for you, maybe you should tweak the dosage of the meds you take, so that you take less on some days and more on others (but never beyond the maximum recommended dose). Doing this will probably lead to being blacklisted, but it was the only way I was able to make any psychotropic medicine beneficial for me, by making sure I would not develop a tolerance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 22:57 
Poster

My dysfunctionality in life is marked by that same overarching problem (at least in my case): anxiety disorder and chronic depression, 'official' diagnosis (by an absolute hack after only a handful of 30min sessions) was avoidant personality disorder co-occurring with lesser degree narcissism or something. After a number of equally incompetent and disinterested psychiatrists who were surprisingly of very good repute, a stint in a centre for mental health that was counterproductive more than anything and struck me as more of an intermediary junction to siphon money from public health insurance to its parent company and then a smorgasbord of SSRI and other antidepressants that did fuck all, I decided to go for an out-of-pocket ketamine treatment package of 6 injections at a clinic in Germany at 220€ a hit. Therapeutic ketamine usage for depression is something which overwhelmingly has been lauded by recent studies as a (albeit strongly temporally limited) wonder-cure, odd critical voices aside. I've had four injections so far at anything from 0.5mg to 0.75mg per kg. It was an extremely trippy experience and I've never taken psychedelics before but I assume that it comes close. Visual hallucinations, thought processes flowing more freely, euphoria. After the initial elation and drowsiness subsided I did notice a more consistent minor improvement (psychomatic pains and aches mostly subsided, visual contours seem sharper, anxiety seemed somewhat lessened).

While it is nice to not feel like I'm suffocating every time I have to burp or am actually managing the bout of anxiety I get when crossing a red light with no one around, it hasn't improved the main ways in which my depression affects me so far, which is being constantly drained of energy to the point where rudimentary activities take a gargantuan amount of effort to do and depressive pseudodementia, which effectively had my cognition shut for the past decade and kept me stuck in a spiral of academic failures,. Both of these when it comes any attempts at self-improvement, affect it majorly by causing the inevitable hard hitting relapses and subpar, discouraging results. According to the treating anesthesiologist it's still too early to draw definite conclusions and that a fundamental change can produce itself up to 4 weeks after the final injection. While while minor improvements are nice a complete 180 turn is needed, as I'm still not put in a position were I can make durable positive changes to my life. I'm still holding out for it but right now am not too optimistic. I don't know yet if I should have measured my expectations before going in but most studies and personal experience reports seemed to depict as some sort of panacea with only monthly upkeep doses needed, which so far it hasn't been for me. I'll update once I've had my 6th infusion gestate a bit. Not worth the money for treatment and logistical upkeep though if this minor improvement is all I'm getting and that miraculous effect doesn't set in within the next couple of weeks. If you're just going for the trip, I'd stick with once or twice though. Just wanted to share my experience as this seems to be presented more and more as a viable option when SSRI and other conventional antidepressants don't do the trick.

Soon there will be war. Millions will burn. Millions will perish in sickness and misery. Why does one death matter against so many? Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this. But there are so many deserving of retribution ... and there is so little time.

Last edited by Stannis on 05 Feb 2019, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank Stannis for the above post:
The Geek
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 23:03 
Moderator Femme Fatale

Send me a PM if you like and I'll try and help :-) I'm kind, open minded and a good listener. If you think I might be of help, then do say hi and I'll try :-)

Thanks  
The following users would like to thank ukshygirl for the above post:
oncebitten55, metalized